So you've just moved into your new home. You shopped around and did a lot of research to find the home that was just right for you. You signed a large stack of documents at closing, the moving trucks have left, all the boxes are unpacked, and all your belongings are in their proper places. What should you do now to maintain your prized possession? Here are some tips – separated by season:
- Remove screens from windows and install storm windows.
- Clean out leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Insulate pipes in your home's crawl spaces and attic .
- Store firewood at least 30 feet away from your home.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct, damper and space under the dryer.
- Check the attic for adequate ventilation.
- Clean the kitchen exhaust hood and air filter.
- Check the water hoses on the clothes washer, refrigerator icemaker and dishwasher for cracks and bubbles.