Why Now is a Good Time to Get a Financial Health Checkup
- July 15, 2021
- By: Greenpath Financial Wellness
As things start to open back up and eagerly awaited vacation days are getting underway, the summer is a great time to get a financial health checkup to make sure your finances are on track.
It’s a habit worth keeping. With regular checkups, you can fix small problems before they become big issues.
This summer, in particular, keeping financially healthy is especially important. That’s because of uncertainties related to the extension of forbearance, student loans and other relief programs put in place more than a year ago to help people manage through the pandemic.
With temporary pauses of debt payments possibly coming to an end, understanding a household’s overall financial fitness will help you get back on track and handle the restart of monthly debt payments.
Your Financial Health Checkup
Like a health checkup, a financial checkup examines your “vitals” to be sure all is well when it comes to your financial health and wellness.
From an overall budget review to managing credit card debt, the caring, NFCC-certified counselors at GreenPath will conduct a full review of your current financial fitness and provide recommended next steps for improving your financial health.
The checkup guides you to:
- Understand Options to Move Forward After Relief Programs End: Loans that are deferred as part of COVID-related relief programs aren’t gone. The money borrowed is still owed, and the debt has to be repaid. Deferments provided borrowers with a little breathing room, but as the temporary pause in payments expire, a checkup is good opportunity to understand options, and take a closer look at not only any loans on pause but also your entire financial picture.
- Manage Income and Expenses: A financial checkup gives you a better understanding of your income and expenses and set a plan for your spending to help you keep your finances on track and start saving for future goals.
- Pay Down Debt: Explore options to help you pay down credit card debt as well as options for managing other debts that may be on the horizon – such as expiring forbearances on mortgages or student loan payments.
- Improve Your Credit: What are your numbers when it comes to credit? Looking to take out a mortgage or make another large purchase in the near future? Review your current credit report to see where you stand, and get tips on how you can improve your score moving forward.
It Starts with a Call
Your financial fitness is key to a healthy future.
GreenPath counselors are committed to easing financial stress and worry through access to clear information. We envision a world where people are financially fit to handle life’s ups and downs. And we all have the health and wellness to accomplish our financial goals.