8 Money Saving Back-to-School Shopping Tips
- July 20, 2021
- By: Greenpath Financial Wellness
While the summer sun keeps shining, the store shelves are already packed with back-to-school supplies and clothes. The sales are underway online and in-store. So, while we still may be thinking sunscreen and summer fun, now is the time to think about saving money on the upcoming school year! Here are 8 money saving back to school tips, whether you shop online or in the stores, a little planning can help you save a lot of money.
- Start early! Doing your homework early can often help you spend less and choose from a better selection of supplies.
- Shop by looking at circulars and online sales. Plan your trip around the best deals throughout the rest of the summer until school starts.
- Take inventory of what your child has now and what can be reused during the new school year.
- See if your child’s school website has a shopping list for each individual grade. That way you can identify things that they need right now and what can wait.
- Don’t buy all your supplies from one store. Shop around! Certain stores will price match or have better prices.
- Talk to your children and identify needs versus wants. You can set expectations and limits on things like shoes, clothes or sports gear.
- Avoid cartoon characters. Usually, themed back-to-school supplies can cost 20-30 percent more than their generic counterparts. A great way to still give them style and personalization is to buy stickers and let them decorate their supplies.
- Consider shopping solo. You’ll stay focused and avoid unnecessary purchases. Your child may want a new backpack, when last year’s will do just fine!